Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How stop safari from using Google Maps as default

I have tried all suggestions, settings, etc. I removed Google Map app from IPhone. Every time I search for a store on Safari, it will only provide directions using Google Maps, and wants me to download Google maps app.

I want to use Apple Maps or Waze. My Gmail Settings have Apple Maps as default. Can anyone help?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 9:11 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2024 6:21 PM in response to Uncle_Dave_

Uncle_Dave_ wrote:

I have tried all suggestions, settings, etc. I removed Google Map app from IPhone. Every time I search for a store on Safari, it will only provide directions using Google Maps, and wants me to download Google maps app. I want to use Apple Maps or Waze. My Gmail Settings have Apple Maps as default. Can anyone help?

This is normal. When you search for something on Safari, you're using Google as your search engine. It'll open the directions in the web version of Google Maps anyway even if you've never installed the Google Maps app.

You can, however, simply search for the store in the Apple Maps app.

Apr 26, 2024 8:01 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

One of us is misunderstanding something, because I just searched for Saks Fifth Avenue and a nice Apple Maps picture appears along with directions, etc. I have never seen Google Maps result, not from a Safari search.

(with Google as the search engine)

Perhaps that's the problem, hence my question to the OP.

Huh, very strange- indeed, interested to hear what's going on here.

How stop safari from using Google Maps as default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.