Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Removing MDM from a school-provided iPad

I have an iPad that was purchased through my old high school. When I received it, it was setup with MDM restrictions and preloaded apps. I am unable to reset it myself, nor is there the button to remove the profile. Since last fall, I have not been at that school as I moved. I tried getting into contact with the IT department at my old school, and they tried to help me remove the restrictions. However, they deleted my account and device from their system, but my iPad still has the restrictions and MDM profile. This is because prior to the iPad being released and being automatically wiped, I made a backup using my personal iCloud account. After the iPad was reset, it automatically loaded this backup and the restrictions came back. I was told there is nothing they can do remotely to give me access to my iPad. They recommended I go to an Apple store and have them factory reset my iPad into DFU, however this did not work as the Apple Store employees needed to sign into the school administration account to reset my iPad. Is there anything I can do to remove the MDM restrictions?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 11:02 AM

This does need to be resolved by the school and when they do remove it, you will not be able to restore from your backup. Sounds like their attempt to remove it was not done properly. If you are able to get it removed again, you just need to skip the page in the restore process titled Transfer your Apps & Data. Don't know why they would have told you to go to the Apple Store, as there is nothing Apple will be able to do to remove the MDM software. You will need to continue to follow up with the IT department from the school as long as they are willing to help, because without their assistance, the iPad will never truly be yours. They may have just given up and told you there is nothing they can do.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2024 11:02 AM in response to Catzilla2016

This does need to be resolved by the school and when they do remove it, you will not be able to restore from your backup. Sounds like their attempt to remove it was not done properly. If you are able to get it removed again, you just need to skip the page in the restore process titled Transfer your Apps & Data. Don't know why they would have told you to go to the Apple Store, as there is nothing Apple will be able to do to remove the MDM software. You will need to continue to follow up with the IT department from the school as long as they are willing to help, because without their assistance, the iPad will never truly be yours. They may have just given up and told you there is nothing they can do.

Apr 29, 2024 8:42 AM in response to Catzilla2016

You need to set it up as a new device. MDM gets embedded into the backup for security reasons. The school should be able to remove management without wiping. If they cannot or will not do this, they'll need to wipe it and set it up as a new device. It will also need to be released from Apple School Manager. They may need to provide you with an Activation Lock Bypass code from their MDM.

Removing MDM from a school-provided iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.