Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My iMovie library is massive, can I move it to a 14TB external drive rather than keeping it on my iMac and still have functional files to re-edit in iMovie ?

My iMovie library is massive, can I move it to a 14TB external drive rather than keeping it on my iMac and still have functional files to re-edit in iMovie ? I use certain elements, logos and music in other projects.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 11:35 AM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2024 9:41 AM in response to Clamopher

Yes, you can move your iMovie library to an external drive, as long as the drive is formatted either Mac OS Extended (Jounaled) or APFS. Safer first to copy, rather than transferring, the library over and then you can delete the library on your internal drive. Here's the procedure:

Locate your iMovie library on your current device. Should be in the Movies folder. Select the library's icon and do an Edit/Copy. Then Edit/Paste the iMovie library folder to the properly formatted external drive that you've chosen. Depending on the size of your library, the copy process may take some time. Once the copying is complete, a copy of your iMovie library is now in the new location. Confirm that it is working properly. Then you can delete the duplicate library from its original location on your internal drive.

Be aware that if you must reformat your external drive the reformatting process will delete all data on the drive. So before reformatting or doing any copying you should first back up the external drive to save any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

My iMovie library is massive, can I move it to a 14TB external drive rather than keeping it on my iMac and still have functional files to re-edit in iMovie ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.