Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

mail app default settings

How do i reset my mail app to the default settings.. It is having me double click to open a new mail and that is not what I want.. Please help. Also, I must have changed something because it's saying my IMAP is not working.. I think those are the initials.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 1:27 PM

1 reply

Apr 26, 2024 4:03 PM in response to tytbody

Remove email accounts

When you remove an email account, the account’s messages are removed from your Mac. Copies of messages remain on the account’s mail server and are still available (from webmail, for example).

Important: If you’re unsure whether messages you want to keep are still on the mail server, move or copy them to a mailbox stored on your Mac (the mailbox appears in the On My Mac section in the Mail sidebar) before you remove the account in Mail.

In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Mail > Settings, then click Accounts.

Select an account, then click the Remove button .

Note: If the account is used by other apps on your Mac, you’re asked to remove the account in Internet Accounts settings. Open System Settings > Internet Accounts, select the account and turn Mail off.

Add your first email account to Mail

The first time you open Mail, you may be asked to add an account. Listed in the dialog are domains for email accounts.

Select an account type or Other Mail Account.

Note: If you want to add your @iCloud, @me, or @mac address, select iCloud.

Enter your account information.

If you’re already using an account on your Mac with other apps, such as Contacts or Messages, you can also use that account with Mail. In Mail, choose Mail > Accounts to open Internet Accounts settings, then click Add Account on the right.

Add more email accounts to Mail

If you already added an email account, you can still add more.

In Mail, choose Mail > Add Account.

Select an account type.

Enter your account information.

mail app default settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.