Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

External CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 Not working on MAC Studio or iMAC

Hi I have two different MACs. A MAC Studio and an iMAC.

My external CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 when plugged in makes a sound but when you insert a DVD/CD it just spits it back out.

Since this is happening on both MACs, I'm wondering if there is a way to see if the firmware or something on the external CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 needs to be updated or is just for the trash heap?

Opening the Disk Utility, I do not see the CD/DVD on the machines

Thank you

Big Tony's Happy Hen House

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 14.0

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 2:16 PM

1 reply

Apr 26, 2024 6:49 PM in response to BigTonysHappyHenHouse

BigTonysHappyHenHouse wrote:

Hi I have two different MACs. A MAC Studio and an iMAC. My external CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 when plugged in makes a sound but when you insert a DVD/CD it just spits it back out. Since this is happening on both MACs, I'm wondering if there is a way to see if the firmware or something on the external CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 needs to be updated or is just for the trash heap? Opening the Disk Utility, I do not see the CD/DVD on the machines

If it's rejecting disks and not appearing in Disk Utility for either Mac, I'd say it's dead. Doubtful about the firmware update, there hasn't been one for it in about a decade and a half.

External CD/ DVD Apple Model A1379 Not working on MAC Studio or iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.