Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

What is the correct charging cable for an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 6th Generation?

Let me begin with a quick apology for asking such a basic question. In my own defense, I will only say that it has been seemingly impossible to find a clear statement of the answer to this question. If somebody knows of a source that has the answer, then I will be content to be directed to it.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 6th generation iPad. It is model number A2436. As I said in the title, I would like to know the correct kind of cable to buy for purposes of charging it. I thought it would be a simple matter to look up my model on Apple's web site, and I would find the description of the right kind of cable in the information on the product and that would be that. It wasn't. The references to the cable on-line are vague and they refer to multiple different kinds of cables without making it clear whether these are possibilities or if many different kinds of cables can be used. It feels a bit like owning a car and not being able to find an unambiguous answer to the question, "Should I use unleaded gasoline?"

I tried a support chat with Apple.com, and the person in the chat said I needed a USB-C to USB-C cable. That might be right; I'd be glad if it was; it's a simple answer. But, this guy didn't inspire confidence. His first suggestion was a USB-C to lightning cable, which would be useless to me because my iPad doesn't have a lightning connector.

So, I'm asking if any members of this group can tell me: What kind of cable do I need for charging my iPad PRO 12.9" 6th generation iPad, which is model number A2436?

With thanks for any help you can give, and - again - my apologies for asking a very simple question.

JPB

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 3:11 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2024 5:19 AM in response to JohnPBigelow

Simple answer:

Your sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9" was supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter. The iPad will also have been supplied with an Apple USB-C to USB-C power/data cable:

• USB-C Charge Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQKJ3ZM/A

[2m cable illustrated]

Other USB-C/USB-C cables are available - that vary by length, or power-carrying capability. For iPad, while fully usable, you do not require a cable that are intended for charging devices from high-power Power Adapters - such as Mac computers.

USB-C cables are not simple cables that connect contacts one-for-one between the plugs. USB-C cables incorporate active electronics within their cable connectors.

Always use Certified USB-C cables. Be aware that while all Apple USB-C cables support both charging and data, some third-party cables may only support charging. Similarly, some USB-C cables support other types of connection - such as Thunderbolt.

Apr 26, 2024 3:57 PM in response to JohnPBigelow

There are a couple different ones that you can get depending on the charger that you're going to connect the iPad to. If the charger has a USB-C connector, then you'll use a USB-C to USB-C cable. If the charger has a regular USB connector, then you'll use a USB to USB-C cable. Regardless of what you use to charge the device the cable will need to meet the port that it has, and the port on your iPad is USB-C so whatever you plug into your iPad has to have USB-C on one side and whatever the other port is on the other side.

For most situations you'll want to use a charger that has USB-C and you'll want to use a USB-C to USB-C cable. There is not really a one stop shop for the cable as there are many different options available as far as chargers go and that's why you're not getting a direct answer. You didn't say what charger you are using, so telling you to use a certain cable could cause you to get frustrated if your charger doesn't support the cable that you are using. Just not that the connector on your iPad is USB-C and if you wish to use a charger on it, you'll have to get a cable that supports the charger and it's port and the USB-C on the iPad side.

What is the correct charging cable for an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 6th Generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.