Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

My iPad stuck on an app and does not let me exit

Can somebody help me fix this? On one of my iPads, no matter how much I press the home button. It won’t let me leave the app, see my other open apps, or restart my iPad, and it is currently refusing to die. Of course it’s letting me use the app I am on, I can play on it and everything. But I can’t leave, or do anything else.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 6:05 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2024 3:56 AM in response to manaia-lee

Start here:

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

If your top (Sleep/Wake) button is unresponsive, it may be broken - and if so, will ultimately render your iPad unusable. It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, you may encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

If needed, you can arrange repair of your iPad either by (a) visiting the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - or (b) using Apple's mail-in repair service:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2024 11:14 PM in response to manaia-lee

Force restart your iPad. You mentioned you had a home button, so Press and Hold both the Home button and the Power button until you see the Apple Logo. After you see the logo you can release both buttons. If you see a slider "slide to turn off your iPad" just ignore that and continue to hold both buttons. Your iPad will turn off and then turn back on with the Apple Logo. Once you see the logo, release the buttons and let the iPad to continue loading.

My iPad stuck on an app and does not let me exit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.