Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Not Enough Space to Install Update on MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro, 15-inch Mid 2015; Processor: 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7; Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I regularly attach to an external HD for Time Machine backups; All photos, movies, music, games are stored on iCloud, as are Downloads. Extraneous software has been dumped or moved to iCoud. I still cannot upgrade to Monterey, which I am daily reminded to do. Why would an OS require so much space that it requires eliminating data, info and other basic operations for which I originally got the laptop? If it is simply a matter of age, then the notificaiton should say so.

I hope someone will have a viable answer, even if it’s to trade in the unit and purchase a new one.

Thank you

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 6:11 AM

Being available does not necessarily mean being free, to check the available space on your drive, select it

in the Finder and press Command-I to open the Info window.

The Info window will show you the amount of space that is free and the amount that is considered "purgeable."

Ideally, all the available space should be utilized when needed, but macOS tends to hold onto it, a lot of this space may be reserved is through the creation of "local snapshots" by Time Machine. So, you can temporarily disable automatic backups to allow local snapshots to be deleted.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 6:11 AM in response to boomertooner

Being available does not necessarily mean being free, to check the available space on your drive, select it

in the Finder and press Command-I to open the Info window.

The Info window will show you the amount of space that is free and the amount that is considered "purgeable."

Ideally, all the available space should be utilized when needed, but macOS tends to hold onto it, a lot of this space may be reserved is through the creation of "local snapshots" by Time Machine. So, you can temporarily disable automatic backups to allow local snapshots to be deleted.

Apr 27, 2024 6:54 AM in response to boomertooner

Once you remove old unwanted Downloads, you may still have space problem.

I suggest that most users have already removed files as aggressively as they would like to, and chasing down more will only provide minimal relief, and only for a very short time.

The real solution to the problem of having more files than you have space is to add more space -- by connecting another external drive.

Not Enough Space to Install Update on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.