Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Dragging Audio from Finder Changes Track Input

Steps to reproduce:

- Create a new audio track

- Change the Channel Mode to Stereo

- Set the input to an input higher than 1-2 or any bus

- Drag an audio file from Finder to the track

- The input changes. It changes again if I drag another audio file to the same track.

What I've tried:

- Started from an empty project

- Started Logic with Open using Rosetta checked and unchecked

- Started Logic from a Guest User account

I've already submitted via Logic Feedback, but just posting in case anyone else has run into this.

Thanks for any help,

Alex

Logic 10.8.1

macOS Ventura 13.6.3

Mac Studio, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 9:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2024 2:45 AM in response to ASCap23

There is no need to create a new audio track before dragging audio into the Main Window. It will be done automatically when dragging an audio file into the lower part of the Main Window.

Edit: When dragging an audio file on existing tracks the settings won't be changed on my setup. MacOS 14.4.1, Logic 10.8.1 silicon native

Apr 27, 2024 7:54 AM in response to yoyoBen

My track routing is something like this. The advantage is that I can print all the stems and mix at once like this. Once stems are printed, I may rename them, replacing the "#01" etc. with something meaningful ("hard coding" it into the stem printing track name isn't desirable since I can batch rename in Finder, but can't batch rename tracks in Logic (that I know of). To rename them, I remove them from the project, rename in Finder, then drag them back into the same tracks they were printed on. This way, I don't have to quit Logic or deal with missing files next time. If you know of a way to rename files in situ, let me know!

For organization, I prefer to drag them back to the same tracks they were printed from so that I can put them on a new playlist. This makes it very easy to A/B different versions of prints.

The workaround for now is probably going to be importing to new tracks, and then moving the regions to the original tracks (since the behavior I encountered only happens on import).

Apr 27, 2024 10:42 AM in response to ASCap23

ASCap23 wrote:

My track routing is something like this. The advantage is that I can print all the stems and mix at once like this.

You can do this by using File > Export > x Tracks As Audio Files. Make sure all the tracks you need including the Track Stacks or busses are manually selected.

Once stems are printed, I may rename them, replacing the "#01" etc. with something meaningful ("hard coding" it into the stem printing track name isn't desirable since I can batch rename in Finder, but can't batch rename tracks in Logic (that I know of).

You can batch name the tracks when using the mentioned export function. A prompt will open, and you have plenty of naming options. It (the export) took me some attempts but since then I love it.

If you still like to use the hard coded Environment for some reasons, you could import the audio files to new tracks and ignore the routing. Then create your hard coded tracks and just move the files from automatically created tracks to the manually created, hard-coded tracks.

Apr 29, 2024 12:49 PM in response to yoyoBen

My track routing is something like this. The advantage is that I can print all the stems and mix at once like this.
You can do this by using File > Export > x Tracks As Audio Files. Make sure all the tracks you need including the Track Stacks or busses are manually selected.

This doesn't work for any of the external MIDI track instruments that are being routed to VEPro or multi-timbral software instrument tracks, even with the correct bus selected (maybe if there was an "online" option for this batch export?). This only worked for mono-timbral software instrument tracks and tracks with audio on them already.

Once stems are printed, I may rename them, replacing the "#01" etc. with something meaningful ("hard coding" it into the stem printing track name isn't desirable since I can batch rename in Finder, but can't batch rename tracks in Logic (that I know of).

You can batch name the tracks when using the mentioned export function. A prompt will open, and you have plenty of naming options. It (the export) took me some attempts but since then I love it.

Useful, but moot if the above doesn't work, as I end up with many tracks full of silence.

If you still like to use the hard coded Environment for some reasons, you could import the audio files to new tracks and ignore the routing. Then create your hard coded tracks and just move the files from automatically created tracks to the manually created, hard-coded tracks.

I don't use the Environment anymore. The videos above were just a reference for the audio routing.

Dragging Audio from Finder Changes Track Input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.