Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

capitalizing sentences in iPhone

My iPhone has decided that letters at the beginning of sentences no longer need capitalization. I can’t figure out what to do about this. I have a iPhone 15 Pro. Help?

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 10:27 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2024 11:02 PM in response to IsabellaMcF

Here are some other punctuation marks that can sometimes be followed by a capital letter, but they don't always signal the beginning of a new sentence:

• Period (.): This usually ends a sentence, but it can also be used with abbreviations (e.g., Mr., Dr.)
  • Question mark (?): This usually ends a question, but it can also be used to introduce a question in indirect speech (e.g., She asked if I was coming).
  • Exclamation point (!): This usually ends an exclamation, but it can also be used for emphasis within a sentence (e.g., Wow! That was close!).

If you're unsure whether to capitalize after a punctuation mark, it's generally safe to start a new sentence with a capital.

capitalizing sentences in iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.