How to set a default email address in Apple Mail

I am running my Silicon iMac on Sonoma 14.4.1. and using Apple Mail for my two email accounts. The main account is iCloud and the other one is Google.

When I open Mail to compose an email I only get the option to either use Google or Hide My Mail. No option appears to use iCloud.

In settings I went to the setting for ‘Send new messages from.’ This showed ‘Automatically select the best account’. The only other option was Google. No option for iCloud.

In settings I went to Accounts/Account information and found that the Google account showed the full Google address in the Email Address entry but the iCloud entry for that section was blank.

I added the full email address for the iCloud account so that it appeared in Email Address and Mail ran correctly giving me options for either account when composing a new email BUT after restarting the iMac the Email Address section in Account Information was blank again and no options appeared in Mail for using the iCloud Account.

Is there any way to set up my iCloud address as the default or ensure that my iCloud address remains in the Email Address section of settings?

I rarely use the Google Account and it is a real pain having to set up Mail for iCloud every time.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 3:15 AM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2024 3:38 AM in response to pine man

I've fixed it!

First I removed the Google account completely leaving only the iCloud account present in Mail. Next I entered the iCloud email address into Settings/Account Information. I then went to Settings/Composing/Send New Messages From and ensured that the iCloud address was selected.

I restarted the iMac to ensure that the iCloud email account was properly set up and that its settings had been retained. I then added the Google email account to Mail.

A further restart ensured that the Google email address worked correctly and the iCloud email address was the default for New Messages.

May 2, 2024 6:27 AM in response to pine man

I haven't fixed it. It still keeps forgetting my iCloud email address.

If I run it with just the iCloud address it doesn't give me any option to compose an email other than 'Hide My Mail'. If I then add Google again the only option to compose a new email is Google or Hide My Mail - No iCloud address.

I have just tried a reset of Mail but the issue still exists.

Can anybody help?

How to set a default email address in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.