Set default email address when composing

I am using two email accounts within OSX mail, one is iCloud and the other is gmail. Lately I have noticed that when I compose a new message it always defaults to my gmail account address, which I very rarely use. So every time I compose a new email I have to make sure that I switch to my iCloud address. I tried removing my gmail account and then adding it back and that didn't work, it still defaults to the gmail address. So my question is what do I need to do to get Mail to default to my iCloud email address when I compose a new email? BTW this on Ventura 13.6.6 as my iMac is a 2017. Thanks

Posted on May 6, 2024 2:38 PM

2 replies

May 6, 2024 3:12 PM in response to wga

From this:

Set your From address or your Reply to address in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

”If you want to use the same From address for all your messages, choose Mail > Settings, click Composing, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account. Or choose instead to have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected Mailbox and message.”

May 6, 2024 4:16 PM in response to sberman

When I select the send new messages from popup I only see my gmail account while my iCloud account is not in the popup. However if I start to compose an email I can see my iCloud account there. Thank for the reply, but it's not working. Perhaps I should remove my iCloud account and add it back again??

Set default email address when composing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.