Unable to Connect to Recovery Server During macOS Installation - Need Assistance

I am trying to upgrade my HDD to SAMSUNG SSD 980 NVME M2

My Last MacOS was Monterey 12.7.1

Macbook AIR 13 inch 2017

Processor : 1.8Ghz Dual Core Intel Core i5.

I'm currently experiencing difficulties while trying to install macOS on my MacBook Air 2017. Whenever I attempt to connect to the recovery server during the installation process, I encounter an error message stating 'The recovery server could not be contacted.' I've tried troubleshooting steps such as checking my internet connection, resetting NVRAM/PRAM.but the issue persists. Can someone please provide guidance on how to resolve this issue and successfully complete the macOS installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!"

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 5:44 AM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2024 6:23 AM in response to skd2187

Just curious — what version of macOS is it trying to install in Internet Recovery? Because there has been some issues with Internet Recovery not working with some older versions of macOS such as Sierra (10.12) and High Sierra (10.13). Changing the system time used to seem to fix it but no longer seems to make a difference.

Have you tried starting up with Option-Command-R instead of Option-Shift-Command-R? The former would reinstall the latest OS available for your Mac (Monterey) while the latter should install the version your Mac shipped with (probably Sierra).

If that doesn’t work and you have access to another Mac, you can try making an macOS installer for Monterey using a USB drive. The instructions can be found here: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

Unable to Connect to Recovery Server During macOS Installation - Need Assistance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.