Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Water got into iPad port

I spilled water on my iPad and didn't realize water got into the port until hours later and I only dried the iPad itself. I tried charging it and it's able to charge for a couple of seconds and then disconnectes. There was also water coming out when I plugged it in and out and I did that a couple of times I dried it each time and I was stressed and was stupid enough to keep plugging it in and out when there was water on the port. I know that damages the IPad. What do I do..should I take it to apple? This is a school IPad which makes it even worse.

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 6:34 PM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2024 5:52 AM in response to Emily8374

Water and electronics generally do not make happy bedfellows. Your iPad is not designed to be water resistant. While it will survive being splashed with water if immediately dried, it will almost certainly suffer irreparable damage if it is allowed to get wet, or is submerged for any length of time.

If the worst should happen, speed is essential. If the iPad gets wet, it should be immediately dried with an absorbent towel - then set aside in a warm, dry location to throughly dry. If the iPad should be turned-off - and no attempt made to turn-on, use, or charge the iPad until you are absolutely certain that the iPad has fully dried out. Pay particular attention to the charging port.

You mention that your iPad is a "school iPad". If owned by your School, you should contact the Administrator that manages your school devices - as the School will need to know about the issue - and will be able to guide you as to what you need to do.

Otherwise, if the iPad is owned by you and the School itself has no interest, a visit to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will provide opportunity for the technicians to test and assess your iPad damage. If the iPad is your own, here you will be able to explore your available options for repair or replacement:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Water got into iPad port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.