MacBook Pro Black Screen but Shows Menu Bar

Device: MacBook Pro 2017, 13-inch.

Hi. I’ve recently booted up my MacBook after not using it in a while. When turning it on, the majority of the screen stays black, but you can see the Menu Bar at the top clearly. When the menu bar meets the black part of the screen, there are some lines to indicate a potential issue with the screen. However, after leaving it a few minutes the screen then starts working normally.

I saw a fairly similar post which advised to try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM. I have done both of these but neither have fixed it.

I’m unsure if this is a hardware issue due to the screen working after a few minutes. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have attached an image for reference.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 4:11 AM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2024 9:51 AM in response to kaz-k

Thanks for suggesting this! I’ve given it a try and it appears to work correctly. I’m assuming this is more of a hardware issue as when I disconnect the external display, the MacBook screen is jittery and has slight flickering near the menu bar for a few minutes before working normally as mentioned before

MacBook Pro Black Screen but Shows Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.