Quickly Perform Arithmetic

Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to quickly perform arithmetic (addition/subtraction) 'in-cell' in Numbers?

For example, I have a table like this:

I would like to update the Balance of card 1 by subtracting some value from $100.00.

To do this, I have been clicking on the cell, typing "=", followed by "100 - x", where x is any value.

Is there a quicker way involving less keystrokes to achieve the same result? I would ideally like to be able to just click on the cell and type "- x" and get my result.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 11:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2024 11:43 PM in response to Unequivocally-Unimportant

In Numbers, there isn't a direct way to perform arithmetic like subtraction directly in a cell without using the formula. You always need to start a formula with an equal sign and then enter your calculation. The usual process involves tapping or clicking on the cell, typing "=", and then the arithmetic operation you want to perform, such as "100 - x" where x is the value you want to subtract from the existing number.

However, you could make some modifications to your table to simplify the process.

For example, you can add two new columns(if permitted) after the Balance column, one for expenditure and another one for the calculation result.

If x=50, then you could type 50 in D2 and type "=C2-D2" in E2.

You can duplicate and reuse this entire row so next time, you only need to enter the value of x in column D, and the formula in column E will automatically calculate the result for you.

Apr 30, 2024 6:06 AM in response to OliviaMarsh

Thank you for the detailed response, @OliviaMarsh. I really appreciate it.

Your suggestion to use two other columns is a good idea. Unfortunately, in my case, the Balance will keep on decreasing, i.e., it is not just a once-off subtraction. Once the new Balance is calculated, I want to be able to further subtract from it. So, adding two other columns will not solve my problem in this case.

But, thank you for your suggestion.

Quickly Perform Arithmetic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.