Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

2017 MacBook Pro logic board not working

The MacBook will not power up & according to apple, the logic board is broken. It happened just suddenly but I do have full back ups. The keyboard & screen however are new. Can I safely sell the MacBook for parts without the buyer being able to access my personal info?

thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 2:15 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 2:03 PM in response to Pixiekidz

If you have a local Apple repair shop, check to see whether they have the special Apple black box to connect the Logic Board's Lifeboat connector for attempting data recovery. If they have this device, then you can have them connect it to the Logic Board and perform a simple erase of the whole physical SSD using Disk Utility. Due to how SSDs & TRIM work, this will reset all of the SSD's blocks to zero or an indeterminate state making it impossible for anyone to recover any data. This will most likely work even if the Logic Board is bad as long as Disk Utility is able to see the SSD of the broken Mac. Unfortunately an Apple Store is unlikely to do this for you since they likely don't have this special Apple device since Apple does not offer data recovery options anymore. Not all Apple repair shops will have this device though.

2017 MacBook Pro logic board not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.