Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Apple Mail Smart Mailbox shows wrong number of unread

I have a smart mailbox with about 60 messages in it. They have all been read, but the notification, next to the smart mailbox, is 9. I have selected all messaged and chosen 'Mark as Read'. I have also 'right clicked' the smart mailbox and chosen "Mark All Messages As Read". I have restarted Mail.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 11:53 AM

3 replies

May 22, 2024 5:18 PM in response to SecretNinja

I have the same problem.

When I check on my iPhone (or on the gmail web interface) the messages that are counted as unread are not unread in those other interfaces. In fact, they don't have the blue dot in the Mail.app indicating that they are unread. Only the smart mailbox thinks that they are unread.

Things I've tried:

• Rebuilding mailboxes
  • Disabling and re-enabling the mail account
  • Deleting the Envelope Index files
  • Rebooting
  • Restarting mail
  • Re-downloading all the mail
  • Deleting and recreating the smart mailbox
  • Disabling and re-enabling Spotlight

Sometimes the messages will stop being shown as unread, but soon after new ones will reappear.

May 28, 2024 1:56 AM in response to SecretNinja

Same problem here.

At one point (before 14.5) going to Settings, unchecking the problematic accounts and then re-checking it solved the issue. But with latest version of macOS (14.5) the issue comes back.

Seems to be linked to Gmail and one iMap account on my side. Hotmail and Apple Mail seems to be immune.

Looks like a regression issue...

Apple Mail Smart Mailbox shows wrong number of unread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.