Body of Mac mail not appearing for up to 10 mins

I have tried here before to fix this but for no result.

When I open mail I see all the new mail on the left but when I click on it to read the page comes up with no body.

They do eventually appear but sometimes up to 10 mins later.

I have checked my settings agains my wife's MacBook and they are identical.

Sometimes I have to go to my iPhone to see the message

So why are mine on my iMac being delayed?

David

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:51 PM

10 replies

May 2, 2024 11:50 AM in response to davidfromlara

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

I recommend uninstalling Bitdefender according to the developer's instructions.

Additionally, download and run Etrecheck

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

May 3, 2024 9:09 AM in response to davidfromlara

Also uninstall the VPN software. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint.  Read these articles:  FPubic VPN's are anything but public,, Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns a Number of Public VPNs and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites and Security Risks: The Dangers of Using Free VPNs (eccu.edu).  

May 1, 2024 5:00 PM in response to davidfromlara

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

May 1, 2024 5:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your assistance.

Safe mode made no difference.

I don't know if this means much but when I click on each email in turn (after they appeared) they open ok but if I go back to the first it will not open. same for the rest.

Everything settles down after approx. 10 mins and emails will open.

I have Bitdefender installed but so has my wife and she has no problems.

I noticed one subscriber went into preferences and privacy and made sure that Protect mail activity was unchecked and Hide IP address was checked, he said that solved his problem but not with me.

May 6, 2024 4:06 PM in response to davidfromlara

You still have Surfshark Antivirus installed along with Surfshark VPN. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint and only cause system and application performance degradation. 

Uninstall Surfshark Anti/Virus and VPN according to the developer's instructions.

Body of Mac mail not appearing for up to 10 mins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.