Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to fix distorted image on iPhone?

Hello, recently I have encounter a problem which is everytime I take a picture of an LED Display the photo would always turn out distorted. Do I have to adjust something on a camera??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on May 2, 2024 4:12 AM

1 reply

May 2, 2024 7:17 AM in response to forebr

An LED sign isn't just on-- it's scanned across and down, so all the lights aren't really on all the time. We don't usually notice, because the scanning is very fast, but if you blink or shake your head while looking a sign like in your picture, you can see some pretty funny effects. In your picture,

you are catching a moment when some of the LEDs are on, and some are off. You can see some of the same effects watching a movie or TV when they're showing another television on the screen, especially with earlier TVs, and you see black lines appearing to move disturbingly across the picture-- the camera scans at a slightly different time than the TV paints its picture.

What you see will depend on the "shutter speed" of the camera, and this depends on the brightness of the light. The brightness of the light in the window makes the camera take a picture in a brief instant, so you see the effects of the scanning. To get a picture without that effect, you'd have to use a slower shutter speed. You might be able to point the camera toward a darker area and see the whole sign. But then you might not get the picture you want...

On my Nikon, there's a knob for Shutter Speed. As far as I can tell, there is no shutter speed adjustment on an iPhone. But it appears there are some apps on the App Store that let you have some control. I see an app called Camera + that has 41/2 stars, for example, but I haven't used any of them, and I can't recommend any one.

Let us know what you find for a solution!

How to fix distorted image on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.