Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

new USB SuperDrive not working on my new iMac M1

I have plugged in the USB of the new USB SuperDrive into my new iMac M1 but nothing happening

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 2, 2024 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 9:39 AM

or Apple have to replace the SuperDrive.

The SuperDrive has not been updated since 2012, so Apple cannot replace yours with one having a different connector.

This Apple article on the SuperDrive says to use a port adaptor with newer Macs like yours, and gives links to three adapter options available in the Apple online store:

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

The least expensive one should work fine.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 9:39 AM in response to ruth2011

or Apple have to replace the SuperDrive.

The SuperDrive has not been updated since 2012, so Apple cannot replace yours with one having a different connector.

This Apple article on the SuperDrive says to use a port adaptor with newer Macs like yours, and gives links to three adapter options available in the Apple online store:

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

The least expensive one should work fine.

May 2, 2024 2:01 PM in response to lkrupp

lkrupp wrote:

You won’t see anything until a disc is inserted in the SuperDrive.

just for your further reference, with a superdrive, that is not entirely correct. if you have an empty superdrive connected to the Mac, it will show up in system preferences / settings. if there is one connected there will be a CDs & DVDs pane. even when empty.

in Ventura and Sonoma:

and with Monterey and before:

May 2, 2024 9:11 AM in response to lkrupp

I already worked out that it has to be connected directly, but my new iMac M1 does not have a USB port which takes this USB connector from the Superdrive. The cord from the SuperDrive cannot be removed, so either I will have to get an adaptor for the USB-C (if there is such a thing), or Apple have to replace the SuperDrive. Am I correct?

May 3, 2024 7:01 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I was referring to the Desktop. The drive icon does not appear until a disc is inserted. And of course the drive also appears in the System Report app under USB as well as System Preferences when plugged in. Many users expect the SuperDrive to show up on the Desktop when plugged in like other storage devices and therefore claim the drive doesn’t work. Add to that the direct connection (not a hub) and adapter gotcha’s and it’s easy to see why questions arise, often followed by false claims that Apple Silicon Macs no longer support the SuperDrive.

new USB SuperDrive not working on my new iMac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.