Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I recently left my job. My employer let me keep my MacBook. I need to subscribe to Microsoft, but the system won't let me

My Microsoft subscription was terminated when I left my employer. I am attempting to sign up for a new one, but I keep getting this error message: You are not authorized to make purchases of this InApp in Sandbox at this time.

I went to App Store Connect, but don't have permission to sign in. How to resolve this as I need access to Microsoft word asap.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:13 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2024 9:41 PM in response to soyler

Most likely the laptop is still being managed by your former employer. If that is the case, then you do not control the laptop and the former employer can still make unexpected changes remotely including completely locking the laptop or erasing it at any time.

If this laptop is not being managed by your former employer, then you should perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the disk followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring only the data files from a backup made prior to erasing the disk. Do not migrate any apps or settings from the backup since they are likely configured for the former employer. Download & install all third party apps yourself by getting their most recent versions so that they are under your purchase history and "ownership" such as you an own any software these days.

Here is what the previous owner should have done prior to selling or getting rid of the Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Yes, you may have been using the laptop previously, but it was owned, configured, and controlled by the former owner/employer. You should still do all the steps listed in that Apple article (or have the former employer assist you with steps 1-5).

Edit: Another reason for the clean install is that Microsoft has different licensing schemes for their apps and your former employer may have had a special license & configuration of the MS software. Just purchasing your own license may not be sufficient to make things work properly....some things may work, while you may find other things have issues. The easiest way to make sure things go smoothly is by a clean install and downloading & installing new copies of the third party apps.

May 2, 2024 12:59 PM in response to soyler

soyler wrote:

My Microsoft subscription was terminated when I left my employer. I am attempting to sign up for a new one, but I keep getting this error message: You are not authorized to make purchases of this InApp in Sandbox at this time.
I went to App Store Connect, but don't have permission to sign in. How to resolve this as I need access to Microsoft word asap.

you'll need to talk to the IT person at your old job.

I recently left my job. My employer let me keep my MacBook. I need to subscribe to Microsoft, but the system won't let me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.