Brand new iPad LOST less than a week after purchase

I purchased a new iPad for my autistic non-verbal teenaged son last week (on April 25). Now, less than a week later, it has COMPLETELY disappeared. I cannot find it via iCloud and it seems to be offline. I did turn off Location tracking for my son's safety and - in hindsight - just learned that it needs to be On for the device to be tracked. I thought I turned on Lost Mode and gave my phone number to contact in case some kind soul found it, but the customer service rep on Apple claimed it is not showing as Lost. I am at my wits' end. As you probably guessed, I am NOT tech savvy at all and I am really struggling here. There is a Pending status when Apple tries to track the device. Please help. Is my son's iPad lost for good? We cannot afford another iPad and need help finding his device. Please help!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:30 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2024 2:49 PM in response to razmee209

Sorry, but you're out of luck.

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it.  However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

For future reference:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

May 2, 2024 12:57 PM in response to FreshEarly

FreshEarly wrote:

I purchased a new iPad for my autistic non-verbal teenaged son last week (on April 25). Now, less than a week later, it has COMPLETELY disappeared. I cannot find it via iCloud and it seems to be offline. I did turn off Location tracking for my son's safety and - in hindsight - just learned that it needs to be On for the device to be tracked. I thought I turned on Lost Mode and gave my phone number to contact in case some kind soul found it, but the customer service rep on Apple claimed it is not showing as Lost. I am at my wits' end. As you probably guessed, I am NOT tech savvy at all and I am really struggling here. There is a Pending status when Apple tries to track the device. Please help. Is my son's iPad lost for good? We cannot afford another iPad and need help finding his device. Please help!

You guys would need to do it the old fashion way physically look for it.

Brand new iPad LOST less than a week after purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.