Audio Input Distortion on 2021 M1 MacBook Pro

I work as a sound engineer running Logic Pro X off of a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro (Both are up to date). My home studio setup is comprised of a bunch of different gear but what I normally run is an AKGC214 microphone into an SSL2+ Interface which goes directly into my mac.

Just the other day I sat down to make some music and realized that my input sounds totally distorted from how it usually does. My output sounds fine on previously recorded stuff or any audio from the internet, but anything I record now sounds super distorted and almost like it could be having phasing issues. I immediately tried switching all my gear out by changing to a Focusrite interface, an MXL2001 microphone and a different XLR cable. This didn't fix the issue. I tried a handful of other options which I will list here just so I don't get those as suggestions..

• Restarting my mac
  • Deleting and reinstalling logic
  • Disabling all my external plugins (even though I rarely run any plugins on my record track)
  • Running a scan on all of my plugins
  • Resetting my logic settings
  • Changing my buffer size
  • As i mentioned already: switching out all hardware components of my setup

no luck.

I installed GarageBand just to see if logic was the source of this issue and my audio did seem the slightest bit better but still much lower quality than what I'm used to (and what my clients are used to!) This felt like a tip in some direction but I'm not sure what direction that would be exactly.

At this point my best guess that it has something to do with the sound card but I don't know forsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Milo Kimball

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on May 2, 2024 2:45 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2024 3:14 PM in response to MiloKimball

To get serious help, you need to reveal your specs:

Logic version, MacOS, Computer Model?

Now I'm guessing ("up to date"):

• Set your Mac's "Mic Mode" to Standard. You can find the setting either in the top bar menu (orange microphone icon when Logic is active) or in the Control Center.

• Create a new User Account, login and open Logic there.

• Check with another (non-Apple) DAW. If you don't own any other DAW or audio software, download Audacity.

Audio Input Distortion on 2021 M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.