I want to control an iPad remotely over public internet

I want to control an iPad remotely over the internet and here is my theory: configure Universal Control between a Mac and iPad, setup remote login on the control Mac, use another computer to remotely control the Mac. Will the mouse cross to the iPad?

Thank you for any help.

Posted on May 2, 2024 7:45 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2024 7:54 PM in response to kayizi

Apple Remote Desktop package is Mac only.

Universal Control is not applicable here.

It’d be much easier to configure remote access into the Mac than into that iPad.

ARD can be used for remote access, but you’ll either need to set up port forwarding, or set up a VPN to connect into the target network and run ARD via VPN.

The following thread covers some of the details of setting up remote access: (silly confusion) how to access my http:/… - Apple Community

With port-forwarding, you will want to isolate the Mac into a DMZ, as it will get poked at, and you’ll want to constrain the potential for damage should it be breached.

Setting up a VPN server in the local firewall is preferable and mid-grade and higher firewalls often offer that capability, while setting up a host-based VPN server (and port forwarding for that) is more effort and complexity.

I want to control an iPad remotely over public internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.