Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Why is my iPhone getting such poor WiFi download speeds?

I don't get it. My iMac, seven years old, gets 350 Mbps, my nearly five year old Android phone gets 275 Mbps, but my iPhone XR, just recently refurbished, gets about 15 to 20 Mbps!! Why is this? And I have the latest IOS on the phone.

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on May 3, 2024 11:37 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2024 1:15 AM in response to Saxman

Here are some potential reasons and solutions:

1. Some thick cases, especially metal ones, can weaken WiFi signal. Try taking the case off and see if the speed improves.
  2. The signal strength can significantly impact WiFi speeds. If your iPhone is far from the router or there are obstacles in between, it may receive a weaker signal. Try moving closer to the router to see if speeds improve.
  3. Other electronic devices or nearby WiFi networks can interfere with your WiFi signal, leading to slower speeds. Consider changing the WiFi channel on your router or relocating it to minimize interference.
  4. There could be a setting affecting your WiFi connection. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap on your network name, and see if anything unusual is enabled/disabled. You can also try forgetting the network and re-adding it.
  5. If you're experiencing slow speeds only at certain times, it could be due to network congestion. Try using your iPhone during off-peak hours to see if there's an improvement.
  6. Check if there are any Quality of Service (QoS) settings on your router that might be limiting bandwidth for specific devices. Ensure that your iPhone isn't being throttled by any settings on the router.
  7. Though your iPhone XR is refurbished, there could still be hardware issues affecting its WiFi performance. If none of the above solutions work, you may need to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance.

May 4, 2024 1:12 AM in response to Saxman

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

1. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings: Only network settings are removed.
    1. When you reset network settings, previously used networks and VPN settings that weren’t installed by a configuration profile or mobile device management (MDM) are removed. Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and Ask to Join Networks settings remain turned on.
    2. To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the configuration profile, then tap Remove Profile. This also removes other settings and accounts provided by the profile. See Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone in this guide.
    3. To remove network settings installed by MDM, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the management, then tap Remove Management. This also removes other settings and certificates provided by MDM. See “Mobile device management (MDM)” in the iOS Deployment Reference.
    4. Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.
  3. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

May 4, 2024 10:10 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi, first off, I tried taking the case off, and it made no difference, still downloading at 18 Mbps, while my old iMac, right next to it, is currently showing 366 Mbps. Last night I checked it at where I work, and the same thing, about a tenth of what my old Android phone was getting.

I checked WiFi settings, nothing seems unusual, and most are set automatically.

I was about to forget my network, but then that warning about doing so will also disconnect "all other devices using iCloud Keychain" popped up, which I, and many others I've spoken with, literally hate. As many have lost all their photos &/or videos, contacts, etc. by thinking that deleting them from one device, usually to save space, has ended up deleting them from ALL their devices. This is a real issue for many, as the iCloud feature not only has absurd settings as this, but also can prove to be pretty buggy, and not sync what it's supposed to...

So, I'm hesitant to forget the network, if it'll mean I'll have go and reset it on my other devices as well.

The slow speeds are not only at certain times, but almost all the time. There've been a handful of times when it will get above 100 Mbps, but usually it's somewhere under 20, which is ridiculously low, considering what my other devices get.

As for the router, I just had a technician out here, and so everything's good, and I don't even know how it would be set to throttle any specific devices. Neither of the two others here are having any issues with the connections on their iPhones.

So, I'm no further from the router than the iMac & iPad are, and if there congestion issues, it would certainly apply to the iMac two feet away as well, so that's not the issue.

And when I did speak to an Apple Tech person, he actually told me 20 Mbps is just fine... well, it may function, but when other devices are all getting 300+, there's no reason why it should be getting over 10X less speed....

Why is my iPhone getting such poor WiFi download speeds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.