Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Iphone 7 running IOS 15.8.2 paying for apps i cannot access because they work on ios 16 and above

Iphone 7+ running IOS 15.8 is slowly being shut out of Apps i pay to use. Both times the Apps requested that I update my App. When I did i was told the App only works on IOS 16 and above.First it was T-Mobile and today it was the New York Times.

don’t suggest i upgrade my phone. the phone works fine.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 8:42 AM

Actually no...not an acceptable option as I have been paying for these apps.

I had the same issue with the NYT app on my ipad. ipad works fine even though i know it is "old" NYT updated their app to require iOS 16 and did not give me an option to either opt out, not upgrade or go back to the previous version. Now I can't open it at all.

I'm a sw developer....this is a backward compatibility issue where there was no notification of EOL. not acceptable at all.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2024 8:42 AM in response to ZintainUSA

I had the same issue with the NYT app on my ipad. ipad works fine even though i know it is "old" NYT updated their app to require iOS 16 and did not give me an option to either opt out, not upgrade or go back to the previous version. Now I can't open it at all.

I'm a sw developer....this is a backward compatibility issue where there was no notification of EOL. not acceptable at all.

May 4, 2024 8:16 PM in response to 75gator

The phone may work fine, but it will not support any iOS version above 15.8.2. It will NOT run iOS 16 so the apps that are not allowing you to update due to the fact that you don't have iOS 16 are going to fade out. The only option you have is to purchase a new phone with newer and more powerful hardware that can run the OS version that you need.

May 6, 2024 9:01 AM in response to stacnelson

stacnelson wrote:

If the New York Times abandoned iOS 15 – and getting an device that can run a later version of iOS is "not an acceptable option" – then that implies that you will not be using the New York Times app.

The remaining issue (for you) would be whether to continue with your New York Times subscription, accessing that paper through a Web browser; or to cancel the subscription. That's between you and the New York Times.

May 8, 2024 5:44 AM in response to 75gator

Let's see. What changed?

Did Apple make a change that suddenly locks you out of using an app? None of the apps that you mention are Apple apps, so it is the developers at the apps that you are using that have decided to no longer support your iPhone.

If you do not want to upgrade your phone......then you won't be able to use the apps that have decided to no longer support your phone.

May 8, 2024 5:10 AM in response to sister75

sister75 wrote:

Same problem here. Need to uninstall and reinstall app every day cuz it won’t upgrade. Will eventually get tired of it. NYT ought to know some of their readership isn’t keen on consumerism and buying latest models.

It is the app developer's decision NOT to continue to support lower iOS versions. This was not Apple's decision.

May 24, 2024 2:50 AM in response to JECBACK

As of May 24, that is no longer an option, at least for my iPhone 7 plus. It will no longer open the NYT on any of the browsers. I get a message saying that the webpage is unavailable. I can still access the website on my laptop but not at all on my phone starting this morning. It is a tremendous loss of utility and a seeming giant "F--- You!" by the NYT to its subscribers. We should not have to buy a new phone to access the content for which we have already paid a hefty price. I am contemplating canceling my subscription.

Iphone 7 running IOS 15.8.2 paying for apps i cannot access because they work on ios 16 and above

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.