IMAP and POP seems to have changed

For many years I have had my emails set as imap on my computer and on my phone, while having the same accounts on my partner's computer as pop in order to isolate his mailbox and not have my deletions and filing of emails affect mail in his computer. Recently we have discovered that when I delete or move an email to a file folder it will affect his inbox as well. Does anyone have any insight on why this has changed? I am willing to set my devices to POP but only if it solves the issue :)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 5, 2024 12:42 PM

6 replies

May 6, 2024 7:39 PM in response to KCPBLP

Unfortunately the email lookup tool does not tell you what the actual settings are on your device. It only tells you how your email will be set up on your device if you add it using the default settings. The IMAP email account that is normally added on a Mac or iPhone can also be added as a POP account.

What you are going to need to do is verify the email account on your friend's computer. If your friend has a Mac, then go to Mail > Settings > [name of account], then click the Server Settings tab. The top part of that page will identify it as POP or IMAP. Note the Host Name of the Incoming Mail Server.

If you can provide your mail provider, we may be able to offer more specific information. There is a trend for mail providers to move to the IMAP protocol, but most still offer POP as well.

IMAP and POP seems to have changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.