Why do emails get redirected to iCloud email address on my Mac

When my husbands (@live.com.au) is sending emails to my gmail.com address in my Mail app on my mac, they get redirected to my iCloud email address in my Mail app on my Mac, even though the email address he is sending it to is my gmail.com address and not my iCloud.com account. However when my kids send me emails from their outlook.com account to my gmail.com, they will automatically go to my gmail.com account.

How can I make sure that my husbands emails end up in my gmail.com account on my mac in my Mail app and not in my iCloud.com account in my Mail app?

If I turn off the iCloud mail (as per photo below), it deletes the iCloud email from my Mail app which I don't want to happen. Thank you

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 1:58 PM

Hello lpcarroll,

Do you have any rules set up in Mail for your accounts that would cause this behavior? We ask as it could be possible to have a rule move all messages from your husbands address to another mailbox in the Mail app.

This section of the Mail User Guide has more information, including how to check your rules: Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what you find! Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 1:58 PM in response to lpcarroll

Hello lpcarroll,

Do you have any rules set up in Mail for your accounts that would cause this behavior? We ask as it could be possible to have a rule move all messages from your husbands address to another mailbox in the Mail app.

This section of the Mail User Guide has more information, including how to check your rules: Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what you find! Take care.

Aug 19, 2023 10:17 AM in response to lpcarroll

If your iCloud account is not connected ( just an example ) , open mail application click on I cloud and send a mail from - iCloud address ( in the To - field type your gmail address ) the mail will be sent to your inbox in your apple mail application a pop up appears , in this screen shot it is showing could not connect to outgoing server , thats the reason when connection doctor is opened SMTP for iCloud is totally vanished .You can apply same with gmail say if IMAP or SMTP is not working . Simply click on always use this server to get joined .

And you will observe all IMAP / SMTP for gmail account and iCloud account are showing green dots and joined to their respective server .

Compose a mail ( use command and N keys ) , fill up the credentials select a different mail address and click on try with selected server , in fact in mail preferences send new messages is automatic , that's the reason see the article Change Composing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Send new messages from .

The email address to use when you send messages.

If you use several email accounts, you can have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

You can click on drop down arrow and choose the desired mail address like example1@icloud.com

Why do emails get redirected to iCloud email address on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.