Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Original 140w charger not charging over MagSafe 3 after update, USC type C works fine.

Hi everyone,

I have this problem that I cannot seem to find any answer for. I have an M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro and 2 sets of original 140w chargers and MagSafe 3 cables (one that came with the computer and an extra one)

The problem started after the last Sonoma update (14.4.1) a few weeks ago. Everything went as expected but immediately after restarting the charger that I was using stopped charging my computer and will only blink the red light intermittently every second meaning it's trying to communicate with the computer but it fails to do so. I restarted the computer and it seemed to do the trick. I thought it was only a bug with the update so I didn't think much at that moment.

The next time I needed to charge the laptop, same problem again. I tried using the other original cable I have in order to rule out that being the problem but the problem persisted. The next step was to use the other charger I have and it worked. Sadly, I came to the conclusion that the charger had gone bad...

After sitting for a while thinking it could be too much coincidence for it to happen immediately after the update, I decided to connect the charger using a regular 100w type C cable and see if the problem persists. Lo and behold, the problem doesn't show up!.

I went to check the system report and took screenshots of each scenario. The computer detects both chargers using the type C cable and will charge properly, but will only detect the second charger when using either MagSafe 3 cable. The charger that came with the computer will only show as connected but the ID will remain as hex "0" while the family will be reported as hex 400a (same like the working one).

When connected via USB Type C, other than the serial number being different (for obvious reasons), both chargers will show exactly the same information.

Please help me figure out what's going on here!

This is the working one using a type C cable:

This is the non working one using a type C cable:

This is the working one using a MagSafe 3 cable:

This is the non-working one using a MagSafe 3 cable:

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 5, 2024 6:13 PM

4 replies

May 5, 2024 6:20 PM in response to olopezm

<<. will only blink the red light intermittently every second,

meaning it's trying to communicate with the computer but it fails to do so. >>

That's NOT what that blinking means. The LEDs in the business end of the MagSafe are controlled by commands from the computer. if any light up, communication from computer to MagSafe is working fine.

May 6, 2024 7:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you. but none of these apply to my case.

Like I explained before, the computer will charge and works normally with a second charger. It's only that specific charger that came with the laptop that won't work with the MagSafe 3 cable anymore (or another original replacement cable), but will work and charge correctly if I use a type-c to type-c cable. When connected via MagSafe the LED will only turn red for one second, then turn off 1 second and repeat again indefinitely.

It has nothing to do with Monterrey since the problem started only after the Sonoma 14.4.1 update.

Original 140w charger not charging over MagSafe 3 after update, USC type C works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.