How to disable autofill in excel on iMac

Was hoping to find a simple way to prevent autofill when dragging cells down -- such as hold control key or function key whilst dragging down?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 6, 2024 5:50 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2024 6:07 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks for replying

I want to be able to drag cell values down a column with the minimum of fuss. So numerical values or dates would not increment as I drag the cells down. Holding down with a key such as "control" while dragging down would involve fewer key presses than copy and paste (for example). I suppose I am a wee bit lazy!

May 6, 2024 6:37 AM in response to brawlinks

Assuming you meant "Numbers" not "Excel", use the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback to let Apple know. You are not the only one who would like this feature. It is inconsistent the way it is now. Dragging down the number 1 does not auto-increment but dragging down 1 formatted as text (or any text ending in a numeric character) does auto-increment. Personally, when dragging down from one cell I would prefer it not auto-increment unless I held down a key (option, shift, or command).

If you are asking about "Excel", you can override it with Option.

How to disable autofill in excel on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.