MacBook battery going from 100% to 0% overnight, while on sleep mode

MacBook Pro 2020 iOS Sonoma. All updates are ok.

I click on "sleep", close it, and put it in my bag. When I arrived at work the next morning, the battery was completely drained to zero and shut down. It does not happen every day, but frequently enough to bother me. There is another separate event. Sometimes I put it in my bag and when I open it, it seems to be running heavily something in the background to the point the laptop gets hot. Even if I close all the apps, does not stop running heavily in the background on something I cannot tell, but which is not an Apple update btw ( I checked).

I have the "power nap" running only on the power cord.

I use regular office apps, not a programmer type. I can leave open Outlook, chrome, safari, adobe, word, with my current work files so I can resume the next day.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!!

Posted on May 7, 2024 6:22 AM

5 replies

May 7, 2024 8:26 AM in response to thais39

I can leave open Outlook, chrome, safari, adobe, word...

and

It does not happen every day, but frequently enough to bother me.

Those two statements combined suggest a cause. Computer sleep allows functions to continue working at low levels in the same way human sleep uses energy to keep your heart beating, you lungs working, and brain activity going, albeit at a reduced level.

I suspect Chrome. It is a known resource hog on both Windows and Mac notebook computers. It may still be connecting to sites even when the computer is sleeping. And it is not just Chrome. I am finding more and more web sites that continue to be active in the background regardless of the browser. I can recreate that on demand with my older Pro by leaving the Amazon home page open in the background in Safari.

If you have any anti-virus, torrent, or so-called "cleaning" software installed, they can be disrespectful of your desire to have the computer to sleep without draining your battery. They should go. Same with client-side VPNs—the ones over-hyped in TV adverts. Not needed by 99% of people who fall for the hype.

....so I can resume the next day.

To avoid a severe change to your routine, you can try turning off wifi at night as a test. Most battery eaters are "phoning home" regularly and cannot do that without an internet connection. If the battery still has a useable charge in the morning, that is a data point.

This Apple article shows how to view your battery use history overnight:

View Battery Usage History on a Mac laptop - Apple Support

Those comment are based on our personal testing and general experiences here. If you want a device-specific, data-driven evaluation in this setting where we can neither see nor touch your computer, please post an EtreCheck report. We can quickly and within the limitations of these forums help you determine what issues are at play without our playing a protracted game of "20 Questions" with you that could go on for days. 

EtreCheck Pro is available here:

https://etrecheck.com/index

The free version will do nicely for this purpose, although the app is worthy of our financial support.

We can see hard data about drive performance, software issues and interferences, and resource usage and over-usage. Etrecheck is the development of a long-serving and trusted ASC contributor. It is a reporting app, not a "fix-it” app, expressly for displaying information in these forums to help us help you remotely. It will not reveal any personal or secure information.

Please see this excellent user tip on how to post long text reports like EtreCheck's into a forum response:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

May 7, 2024 6:39 AM in response to thais39

thais39 wrote:

MacBook Pro 2020 iOS Sonoma. All updates are ok.

I click on "sleep", close it, and put it in my bag. When I arrived at work the next morning, the battery was completely drained to zero and shut down. It does not happen every day, but frequently enough to bother me. There is another separate event. Sometimes I put it in my bag and when I open it, it seems to be running heavily something in the background to the point the laptop gets hot. Even if I close all the apps, does not stop running heavily in the background on something I cannot tell, but which is not an Apple update btw ( I checked).

I have the "power nap" running only on the power cord.

I use regular office apps, not a programmer type. I can leave open Outlook, chrome, safari, adobe, word, with my current work files so I can resume the next day.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!!

My advice is to ensure the computer is shutdown before placing in a bag. The computer will overheat if it is on and placed in a bag having no air circulation. If you want to leave the computer on do not place it in a bag and plug it in to a power outlet.

May 7, 2024 9:17 AM in response to thais39

If you are having problems, my recommendation would be to completely shut down your Mac and connect the power adapter and let it stay connected to power all night long. It will NEVER over-charge.

You can quickly put it in the bag in the morning, without powering up. Your apps will open at the same spots at work if you select "save state" when you shut down.

May 10, 2024 10:14 PM in response to thais39

Make sure to disconnect all external devices including the power adapter prior to putting the laptop to sleep. Sometimes disconnecting accessories can trigger the laptop to wake up or even power on. Plus pressing any key or even pressing the Trackpad can power on & wake the laptop.

You may also want to use the Apple Menu --> Sleep to put the laptop to sleep just in case the Lid Angle Sensor is not working correctly (if that is the case, then closing the lid after you put it to sleep could wake it up).

I agree that a software issue is a very likely cause of the problem since Macs are constantly waking up to perform tasks and software issues can prevent the computer from actually going to sleep because those apps prevent sleep. I was assisting a co-worker with their laptop and found it was likely due to iCloud file syncing of their Photos over night (they had been working on them during the evening before putting the laptop to sleep). This was why their issue was intermittent.

MacBook battery going from 100% to 0% overnight, while on sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.