How do I batch edit the location data in Photo's

I've a ton of photo's that are from a camera without GPS & I've also scans of old negative historical photo's that I've restored. It'd be nice to batch enter the country/ State or year first, before figuring out and entering the exact location/day.

I seem to be using my iPhone to scan & edit (including colour photo's 60'-90's), but now I've the challenge to change the meta data.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 8, 2024 6:45 AM

5 replies

May 8, 2024 7:45 AM in response to Alkasper

For scanned photos that are needing roughly the same location and the same date and time, I wrote myself an Apple Script to make it easier.

• I am collecting the photos in a top-level album in Photos (scripting is easier, if the album is not inside a folder), then drag them into a chronological plausible order in the album
  • Then I am adjusting the date and time of the first photo in the album and assign a location, also any keyword or title that should be assigned to all photos in the album
  • Now I select all photos in the album with ⌘A and open this script in Script Editor and run it: Script: Lift and Stamp all Metadata from one Photo to All Other Selected Photos. This script will copy the location to all selected photos, also any title or keyword, but the main purpose is to batch copy the date and time from the first photo to all other selected photos, and to add a small increment of time between successive photos. This way the photos will remain sorted as they are in the album, when we sort them by the date.

In Photos we can easily batch change the titles and assign the same location to all selected photos, as described by Richard, but not batch assign a fixed date. My script is replicating what the batch changing of the date could do in iPhoto. It is one of the things I am missing most from good old iPhoto. Not even Apple's professional app Aperture could do it.

May 8, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Alkasper

Are you doing this inside of the Photos app? I use Photos, and giving a bunch of pictures the same location is pretty easy in there. My camera reads the location from my iPhone by bluetooth, but sometimes I forget to turn it on, so I do this all the time. In Photos, you select the pictures, open the info window, and type in the location. The location gets assigned to all the pictures at once.

You can enter a location by name, Grand Canyon or Eiffel Tower, for instance, and the latitude and longitude for that place get entered for the picture. Photos uses a lookup table to show the name of the place. You can enter the latitude and longitude of the Eiffel Tower if you like, and it will show "Eiffel Tower." You can also do a generic Dallas, Texas, and you will see the location of City Hall.

If you already have the location entered for one picture, then you can use the menu Image>Location>Copy location then use Image>Location>Assign location to a bunch of other pictures.

Outside of Photos I use GraphicConverter ($40) which does lots of useful stuff. But for location, Photos is easier. For location specifically, I have used the app GeoTag, but with Photos being convenient I haven't used it for years. There are a number of apps available for metadata and location editing, so you could check the app store. But don't try to use a files editor like GraphicConverter or GeoTag on pictures loaded into Photos-- it can really mess up the database!

How do I batch edit the location data in Photo's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.