Was sharing an Apple ID but now have two Apple devices on the new Apple ID. Getting new iPad Air & want it on my spouse’s Apple ID…

I purchased my spouse’s iPad that will be replaced by a new 13” iPad Air years ago and after that got her an iPhone. I don’t recall how I setup her Apple ID but while it is clearly not my original Apple ID, her two devices show on my original Apple ID’s device list. When the new iPad Air arrives I want it and her iPhone to be solely on her Apple ID and not somehow linked to my older Apple ID device list. How can I accomplish that ?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 8, 2024 8:35 AM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 9:02 AM in response to JDW-Dayton

The fact they appearing on your device list indicates they are still somehow tied to your Apple ID.

That is unless you mean the appear in the general devices section of the Find My App under her name in which case you are just using Family Sharing and that is fine. They would not be tied to your Apple ID in that case.

When setting up the new one, make absolutely sure, that the Apple ID logged into Settings ➜ Apple ID, Settings ➜ Apple ID ➜ Media & Purchases, Settings ➜ Messages ➜ Send & Receive and ➜ Settings ➜ Facetime ➜ Can be Reached by Facetime at, is her Apple ID and hers alone.

If any of those have your Apple ID for any reason, it may cause issues.

You may want to not use an exiting backup to setup the new iPad if there are still apps that were downloaded with your Apple ID at any point, as those remain tied to that Apple ID forever.

Was sharing an Apple ID but now have two Apple devices on the new Apple ID. Getting new iPad Air & want it on my spouse’s Apple ID…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.