Error message when doing simple addition formula

Using a MBP with Monterey, and Numbers 13.1 I have a list of items purchased, and I am creating a total at the bottom for only some of the item amounts. In the field at the bottom I start with the "=" and next I click each amount I want added, followed by a "+" and then I click on each additional amount. After doing this for around 15-20 items, I press return at the end, and instead of adding it all up it displays a white exclamation point in a red triangle. What is wrong with my formula or what is the reason for this?

Thanks

Posted on May 8, 2024 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 6:09 AM

What is the error message when you click on the triangle? My guess is it says one of those cells contains a string. There may be more than one with that problem but the message will only give one at a time. The +-*/ operators will accept text-formatted numbers but other text (letters, words, space characters, etc.) will cause an error.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 6:09 AM in response to southwestform

What is the error message when you click on the triangle? My guess is it says one of those cells contains a string. There may be more than one with that problem but the message will only give one at a time. The +-*/ operators will accept text-formatted numbers but other text (letters, words, space characters, etc.) will cause an error.

May 9, 2024 7:46 AM in response to Badunit

When I click on the error, it pops up with "The formula contains an invalid reference." I made sure that the cells were all set to the same font (dont think that matters) and were all set to currency. I just clicked it again and now it says "The operator “+” expects a number, date, or duration, but cell Amount MagMod Starter Flash Kit 2 contains a string."

Edit:

I saw what looks like a paragraph break after the value and I deleted it and now it works. I am not quite sure how a paragraph break got in there, or why it wouldn't work with one, but I guess I know what to look for now on. Thanks

May 9, 2024 10:38 AM in response to southwestform

Option Return will make a carriage return in a cell. A carriage return is not a number, which makes the value in the cell not a number. I believe the only way this can even happen is if the cell is formatted as text. This can cause problems

One way to tell if a cell contains an actual number vs a string of numeric digits is to look at which side of the cell the value aligns with. If it naturally aligns to the right, it is a number. If it aligns to the left, it is text/string. If you have manually overridden the text justification in the cell, both will align whichever way you told it to do. You'll have to change it back to the justification that looks like an "A" surrounded by text to see any differences.

"Numbers" that are actually string values will be ignored by the math functions (SUM, AVERAGE, and many others). The +-*/ operators will work with them but the math functions will ignore them.

If the cells contain data (not formulas), and they look like numbers but they align to the left, they are most likely formatted as text. Change the format to "number" or "automatic". Any that don't move to the right are still text and you'll have to figure out why. If you had manually set the text justification, you'll have to change it back to see any change.

If the cells contain formulas, you will have to modify the formulas so they result in actual numbers, not strings. I've seen formulas like IF(A1="yes","1","0") instead of IF(A1="yes",1,0). The first results in text, the second results in actual numbers.

Error message when doing simple addition formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.