Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Stop photos and videos from being deleted on all devices

iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16.6

iPad mini5 iOS 15.5

I want the videos and photos to remain on my iPad when they are deleted from my iPhone. I am very sad this is the default. I have lost very important videos because of this.

Posted on May 8, 2024 9:24 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 4:11 AM in response to mkharper

Presumably your photos and files are being synchronised via iCloud. You can configure the services and Apps that are synchronised between devices from the respective device settings.

Assuming that you wish your iPad's Photo Library to be available via iCloud - but wish to disable synchronisation with your iPhone, you simply need to disable iCloud Photos for your iPhone...

From your iPhone settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > Sync This iPhone - set to OFF

The stated path to the correct settings are for iOS/iPadOS 17; other versions of iOS/iPadOS may differ slightly, but will be very similar.

Should you choose to do so, you might disable iCloud Photos for your iPad and other devices. In so doing, each device will independently maintain their own Photo Library on the device.

Stop photos and videos from being deleted on all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.