Why are downloads going to Dropbox and how to I change this?

I have a macbookpro using Ventura13.6.6

When I look in Finder my downloads appear to be in a Dropbox folder. I do not have permission to open.

When I use the desktop is says open in Finder but goes to the dropbox folder.

When I use Get Info I see that I have allowed both read and write permissions

What has caused all my downloads to go into Dropbox? Can I move them and open on my desktop?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 9, 2024 3:09 PM

5 replies

May 10, 2024 3:52 AM in response to Bonnie Gallogly

Bonnie Gallogly wrote:

I have a macbookpro using Ventura13.6.6
When I look in Finder my downloads appear to be in a Dropbox folder. I do not have permission to open.
When I use the desktop is says open in Finder but goes to the dropbox folder.
When I use Get Info I see that I have allowed both read and write permissions
What has caused all my downloads to go into Dropbox? Can I move them and open on my desktop?

Safari >> Setting >> General

Look for >> File downloads locations

Somehow ? the downloads location were changed to Dropbox

May 10, 2024 7:46 AM in response to PRP_53

This seemed so straight forward but did not work. I will upload a screen shot. My computer understandings are so basic that I often don't understand the big picture. My computer dropbox app has a list of files which I can open. The actual dropbox application I have to access from the web. When I go to dropbox I know you don't have any training for the application so I will need to access their help. I tried to drag the dropbox folder in Finder into the MacBook Pro. It went there but had no effect on my downloads from anywhere else. I have an empty download folder for the computer. Should be full of items but they are gone somewhere else. Any further instructions on getting back my downloads and then being able to open them? I do keep backups on iCloud and on a hard drive if that is required.

May 10, 2024 8:19 AM in response to Bonnie Gallogly

Bonnie Gallogly wrote:

This seemed so straight forward but did not work. I will upload a screen shot. My computer understandings are so basic that I often don't understand the big picture. My computer dropbox app has a list of files which I can open. The actual dropbox application I have to access from the web. When I go to dropbox I know you don't have any training for the application so I will need to access their help. I tried to drag the dropbox folder in Finder into the MacBook Pro. It went there but had no effect on my downloads from anywhere else.

Dropbox, from my limited understanding, is a Cloud Based Service

Therefore, the Dropbox folder you are trying to Drag to your Finder Folder would make a Alias to the Original Location.

Ergo >> Dropbox on their Cloud Based Service

What is Shown, " My Mac (MacBook Pro (4)) " is not a location but rather to some Unknown and Unspecific Location on the Computer

Why are downloads going to Dropbox and how to I change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.