MacOS Recovery Issue- Can’t Re-Install Sierra

So I wanted to clear storage on my Macbook Pro 2017 model (not sure exactly which one, but I know it has 2-port USB-C) since there was a lot of junk on there from school I don’t need anymore and the hard drive was full. I wiped it and now I can’t open it back up and it won’t re-install Sierra so I can use the Laptop. I erased my disk utility and did all of the appropriate measures for that, at least I believe. It installs for about 6-10 minutes and then I get an error message. The error message states, in full, “An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.” I need access to my laptop for work now and I don’t want to bring it to the Apple store and get charged an arm and a leg something someone else can help me with. I would really appreciate the help!

Posted on May 10, 2024 8:29 AM

11 replies

May 10, 2024 9:47 AM in response to Jhay2254

2017 model has Intel chip an NO T2 chip.

the screen show above is seen when you try to boot normally to the last-used boot drive. It says: "can't find no Bootable drive where you told me to look.".

If you erased MacOS, that is expected.

Hold Command-R at startup to enter recovery mode.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you cannot easily re-install the last-running version of MacOS, or its tells you "unavailable", you may have to install the factory-original verion for your Mac:

• Shift-Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these four keys at startup, Recovery might offer the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

May 11, 2024 8:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

be sure you erase your ENTIRE drive by selecting the Physical Device, by the immutable manufacturer-provided Physical device-name.

If Disk Utility has a tiny "View" menu, be certain you have selected "show all devices". the line under the device name should indicate "... Physical DISK", like this one:

NB>> The format you want is GIUD partition Map and MacOS Extended (journaled) to install Sierra.

Sierra does not know about APFS.

May 10, 2024 9:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, I very much appreciate you trying to help me but you do not need to be condescending. I am explaining to you exactly what is happening. I wait about 6-10 minutes, as previously stated, for the download. It finishes and then says, and I quote, “An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.”. After that, It gives me a prompt to click saying Okay. I click that, and nothing happens. I have to restart the download. It cannot install the download. I have done this multiple times. I don’t know how much clearer I can make the statement that I have made previously. As I said, I really appreciate your help, but the condescending response from you is unwarranted when I am giving you the exact information. But I hope that was as detailed as you like it to be.

May 11, 2024 6:51 AM in response to Jhay2254

I asked for that information because, to help you, Readers NEED that information, especially about elapsed time. What I wrote was never intended to be condescending. I asked in simple declarative sentences without character assassination or assignment blame. If you have a suggestion about how to ask for such information in a way that you do NOT find condescending, I would love to hear bout it.

I can not watch what you are doing. I can not keep track of what you are using for a procedure and whether you followed exactly the appropriate procedure. You need to let Readers know, in great detail, EXACTLY what happened, and WHEN.

-------

consider ERASING your drive again using Recovery mode. it should only take a few minutes.

The reason for this suggestion is that Sierra is the LAST MacOS that uses only MacOS Extended format on the internal drive. It is possible that your may have vestiges of newer Apple File System from a previous install that could be making installation more complex.

MacOS Recovery Issue- Can’t Re-Install Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.