Mac Mail Constantly "Downloading Messages"

We are in May 2024 and I still am one of those poor Apple users seeing Mail downloading a huge amount of emails (134.000) and also seeing my emails coming to my iMac much much later than in icloud.com

I have the conviction that this is one of those cases when Apple tries to convince you to buy a later Mac as this does not happen on my new MacBook.

Any ideas? Any new information?

Many thanks!

Natalia

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2024 12:02 PM

1 reply

May 19, 2024 5:38 PM in response to zvoomb

Mail is not the fast downloader in the west.

It probably is better that whoever is your mail host you use their webmail service to establish some IMAP folders on their webmail. Organize it so only the last two weeks of email are in the inbox, while the rest are in other folders dated older dates.

Trying to download 130,000 messages in one mailbox is an exercise in futility.

You really need gigabit ethernet with gigabit internet modem on the internet to get a large chunk of email at once. If on WiFi, turn off any shared WiFi settings on your WiFi router, and only use WPA2 secure WiFi, and make sure nothing else is sharing your WiFi when downloading. Probably best to download overnight and not run any background apps while doing so.

Etrecheck - the handy reporting tool for … - Apple Community

can help us tell you if anything is running in the background that could slow you down.

Mac Mail Constantly "Downloading Messages"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.