Can't get Gmail work with Apple Mail

I have a 13-inch mid-2012 MBP on High Sierra (HS) [version 10.13.6] and was using Apple Mail until a week ago after I changed my Google password. I then launched Apple Mail, entered the new password, and a 400 error was shown. Ever since I could not use Apple Mail. I tried recommendations in this and other networks to fix it with no success. I opened Gmail, checked under the 2-step verification, and could not find the app passwords. Since my knowledge of computer issues is limited I sought the help of a local guru who could not not solve the problem either. 

In trying to see what happened “Apple Mail Connection Dr” was used with the following result, Please see sanpshot, Details and logos.

DETAILS

On a recently purchased Mac mini M2, the guru launched Apple Mail. He then entered the new Gmail password. There was no error 400 and I was able to use Apple Mail as usual. The guru said that something in the domain of Apple or Google environment is occurring that is not allowing me to get Apple Mail to work on HS, which is the computer that I use to work.

Moreover, Apple Mail in my old Mac mini on El Capitan also ceased to work some while ago. Is this now the destiny of Apple Mail on HS? 

In case this info is needed, I can open Apple Mail from Safari, or Chrome, with no interference.

Desperate because we need to use Apple Mail in HS, are considering an alternative mail system. Hope this will not be the case. Please help 

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 10, 2024 1:11 PM

11 replies

May 10, 2024 6:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry about that because of my ignorance in using this interesting network. It will not be repeated.

I am not sure if I managed to solve the problem permanently. This is what I just have followed, say trial and error:

1) In Google or Gmail I opened “Manage your Google Account”

Since no “App Passwords” option was listed under Google “2-step Verification” 

-In the search window of Google account I wrote “App passwords”

-This caused to open the “App Passwords” section. Down there was a place to 'type an App'. I typed “Apple mail”

-Then a 16-character password was generated. I copied (CMD-C) the password

2) I launched Apple Mail and then moved to Mail>Preferences>Accounts

-I selected “Other Mail Accounts”. A window was shown for one to enter: email and Password.

I typed my email and as password I used the 16-character password generated in Google

Gmail account was selected and Apple Mail started too work.

It remains to be seen for how long this arrangement will work.

Thanks

May 10, 2024 4:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Here is what I did with no success. 

I launched Apple Mail, then Preferences>Accounts I then deleted Gmail. And Press “+”. Options to enter were shown but not a “Gmail’ Account provider, among them.

I tried ‘Other Mail account’ and got a window, like the one you mentioned. Filled my email address and Gmail password. An error was produced

I tried to press on Google and immediately I got the 400 error message 

Unless I was following wrongly your instructions. 

[Edited by Moderator]

May 10, 2024 1:57 PM in response to Lucar21

Gmail, AOL, and Yahoo use a complex setup. it takes more than just changing your password to change your password and have it WORK.

IMAP stores the email messages on the Server, so deleting your Mac gmail Mac account and re-adding it will not lose anything -- the messages are retained on the server.

Inside the mail.app on your Mac, delete your gmail account and add it back again. You will get a browser window or mini-window, and its encrypted setup procedure usually solves the problem and you will be good for a while.

Can't get Gmail work with Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.