Music App Plays Wrong Song in MacOS 14

Immediately after upgrading from MacOS 13 to MacOS 14, the Apple Music app isn't working properly. (I do not have a subscription to the identically named streaming service.)

If I open the app and double-click a song, a different, random song starts playing. I can't discern any pattern to it -- the song that starts playing truly seems to be random.

The issue occurs whether I select a song via Library > Songs view or via a playlist or via the MiniPlayer.

Occasionally, several different, equally random song titles will appear in rapid succession in the Now Playing window at the top of the Music app window before the app starts playing a random song.

Apple Support said that it appears to be a known software issue and had me reinstall the OS via recovery mode, but the issue persisted after the reinstall. Good times.

Music app version 1.4.4.48, MacOS version 14.4.1, Intel 27" 2020 iMac.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 12, 2024 10:01 PM

1 reply

May 13, 2024 8:39 AM in response to jeffanderin

I found this solution in another thread:

In the Music app, navigate to Music > Settings > Files.

Apparently the update from MacOS 13 to MacOS 14 changed the Music Media folder location to the location that Apple thinks best ... rather than the location where my music actually resides (and was selected prior to the OS upgrade).

Clicking Change... and replacing Apple's default location with the actual location of my music folder resolved the issue.

Music App Plays Wrong Song in MacOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.