File order within Folder

Hello. I'm using Mohave 10.14.6 Files I add to a folder display alphabetically. Is there a way for the files I add to actually display in the order I add them? The only way I've been able to do this is to insert numbers in front of the file name, which is very time consuming. For example, if I add two files in this order "Dog" and "Cat", "Cat" will be at the top. I have to change the filenames to "01 Dog" and "02 Cat" for them to display in the order I want! Thanks for any help.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 16, 2024 4:08 AM

8 replies

May 17, 2024 5:04 AM in response to Chippstix

Open a Finder Window and then double-click to open that specific music folder on your Desktop. Now, press cmd+J (Show View Options), and a panel will appear. Set the Group By Category to None, and the Sort By Category to Date Added. Then close that panel.

Files that you drop in that specific folder will be organized by the date you added them to it.

May 17, 2024 4:37 AM in response to Chippstix

Thanks to everyone for answering. Unfortunately my problem has not been solved. What I am trying to do is create a music playlist to load onto my mp3 player. Here's what I'm doing: 1. Create a new folder on my desktop. 2. Add mp3 files to the folder. The music files then automatically appear alphabetically in the folder which is not how I want the songs to list/play. I want them to play in the order I load the mp3 files into the folder. I guess it can't be done?

File order within Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.