does the ipad air 6 11 inch have a sim care slot?

I was wondering if the new iPad Air 6 has a SIM card slot.

Posted on May 16, 2024 9:18 AM

5 replies

May 16, 2024 9:43 AM in response to nicolechristine_x

None of the WiFi+Cellular 2024 models of iPad Air or iPad Pro have a slot to accommodate a physical SIM.

In common with recent models of iPhone sold within the North America, the new iPad models are equipped solely with an eSIM.

About eSIM on iPad - Apple Support

iPad Air - Technical Specifications - Apple

iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

May 16, 2024 3:57 PM in response to nicolechristine_x

nicolechristine_x wrote:

What should I do if I needed to transfer everything from iPad 8th generation (that doesn’t have any cellular) to the iPad Air 6?
Do I need a SIM card for my old iPad before transferring to the newest iPad?

You don't need Cellular service - but you do need access to either (a) a WiFi network with internet access, or (b) a Windows PC/Mac computer itself with an internet connection.

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Apps are not directly transferred between devices. For Apps, the transfer process creates a record of the Apps that are installed on the donor iPad - and it is this record of installed Apps that is transferred to the target (new) device. For Apps that are still available for download from the App Store, the corresponding Apps are automatically downloaded and installed from the App Store.

If you do need assistance, you can make an appointment for the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) here:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

does the ipad air 6 11 inch have a sim care slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.