Will Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) work as Thread border router same as HomePod mini does?

I have an Apple TV 4K 2nd generation from 2021 and I want to upgrade my smart home with modern Matter and Thread enabled devices such as Sonoff MINIR4M or Tado Smart Radiator Thermostat X.

My question is: do I need to upgrade my Apple TV to the newest model with 128GBs or buy a HomePod mini to get it to work?

My confusion came from those two support pages:

If you see a 'Thread Border Router Required' alert on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support (BY)

First include the ATV 2nd gen as supported devices the 2nd page does not.

Thank you for any help

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 17, 2024 1:52 AM

2 replies

May 17, 2024 9:31 AM in response to macko99

Will Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) work as Thread border router same as HomePod mini does?

Yes, the specifications seem to be the same. Thread devices that are not HomeKit/​Matter-compatible may be excluded, though.

Thread specification versioning: Current: 1.3 (includes mandatory Matter support). Apple’s version: ? (not mentioned in software updates).

Matter specification versioning: Current: 1.3. Apple’s version: ? (not mentioned in software updates).

Device versioning for Thread and Matter: probably 1.0–1.2. The first Matter 1.3 devices are expected near end of this year.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.