Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

In which month or year Catalina will stop to be supported ?

I need to know when Catalina will stop to be supported since I am using a Mac Book Air 2012 and I can only purchase a second-hand one since I cannot afford a new one.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 20, 2024 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2024 6:19 PM

gambarot wrote:
I need to know when Catalina will stop to be supported since I am using a Mac Book Air 2012 and I can only purchase a second-hand one since I cannot afford a new one.

The final official release of macOS Catalina was v. 10.15.7 on July 22, 2022. Most analysts & users consider that to have been the "end of life" date even though Apple does not publish an end-of-life schedule.

The last security update for Catalina was Security Update 2022-005 also in July 2022. The last Safari update for Catalina was Safari 15.6.1 issued in August 2022. To my knowledge there have been no subsequent updates.

One would conclude that Catalina has stopped being supported. But that does not mean that it is unusable or unsecure. If you have kept your apps up to date (to the extent they remain supported by their vendors), use reasonable security & privacy measures and are cautious in your use of the internet you should be fine for years to come.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2024 6:19 PM in response to gambarot

gambarot wrote:

The final official release of macOS Catalina was v. 10.15.7 on July 22, 2022. Most analysts & users consider that to have been the "end of life" date even though Apple does not publish an end-of-life schedule.

The last security update for Catalina was Security Update 2022-005 also in July 2022. The last Safari update for Catalina was Safari 15.6.1 issued in August 2022. To my knowledge there have been no subsequent updates.

One would conclude that Catalina has stopped being supported. But that does not mean that it is unusable or unsecure. If you have kept your apps up to date (to the extent they remain supported by their vendors), use reasonable security & privacy measures and are cautious in your use of the internet you should be fine for years to come.

May 20, 2024 5:18 PM in response to gambarot

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

is a good article to go by. That doesn't mean there won't be authorized service centers that won't help you after the official support has ended. But after that point any parts are open market.

Both:

http://www.macsales.com/

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/

have a good reputation when it comes to selling refurbished Mac equipment that is older. There are forums about specific equipment on this board and third party sites like http://www.lowendmac.com/ that help people with obsolete equipment. I might also add web browsers that support Catalina are plenty:

Browsers by Mac operating system - Apple Community

People like myself depend on older equipment, though I was able to get a nice 2015 cheap. It still doesn't support Ventura or Sonoma.

In which month or year Catalina will stop to be supported ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.