Using old, USB Mac keyboards...macally.

I recently switched to an old Macally Mac keyboard that I really like the key action on. However, it doesn't have the extended keys of newer keyboards, like volume up, volume down, mute. Is there a way to map these or are there shortcuts? (Ones for screen brightness would be cool as well.) A function key toggle would be great as well.

Mac mini

Posted on May 20, 2024 7:03 AM

8 replies

May 23, 2024 12:33 PM in response to BDAqua

So to be clear...this keyboard doesn't have a sole "function" key down by the Ctrl, Option and Apple keys.

The function keys work ONLY as true function keys. They don't have the "extended" functions of newer keyboards.

Toggling the "use F keys as funciton keys" setting doesn't change anything.

I appreciate all the great input, but I am willing to live with the lack of those extended function keys for how great this keyboard feels and types.

I was curious if anyone has tips on a piece of software or extended key programming function that would allow me to map at least Volume up, Volume down, and mute to specific function keys.

Thank You,

May 23, 2024 8:00 AM in response to TheOGBluemac

Thanks, so the F Keys do not work?

Can you press the F10 button to mute the volume, the F11 button to decrease the volume, and the F12 button to increase the volume.

To Activate: hold down FN + Esc

If no FN key, For Keyboards Without F-Lock If your keyboard doesn’t have an F-lock key feature, such as MacBooks keyboards, your best bet is to open system preferences and go to your keyboard settings. There you can choose to set your function keys as standard functions or special keys.

What does that top right key do?

May 23, 2024 1:17 PM in response to TheOGBluemac

I think you only need an FN Key if it has one, not the other way around.

By default, the top row of keys on your Apple keyboard control many different features on your Mac. For example, pressing the keys with speaker icons adjusts the volume.

Press and hold the Function (Fn)/Globe key while pressing a function key. For example, pressing both Fn and F12 (speaker icon) performs the action assigned to the F12 key instead of raising the volume of your speakers.1 If your keyboard doesn’t have an Fn key, try pressing and holding the Control key when pressing a function key.

Using old, USB Mac keyboards...macally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.