Dual Dell QHD with USB-C Monitor Setup with Mac Mini M1

Can I connect two USB Type C Dell Monitors using the 2 USB-C Thunderbolt ports on the mac mini M1? Or must 1 display use the HDMI port - please advise, as I plan to purchase 2 Dell S2722DC Monitors ( and both monitors have USB-C display ports)

Posted on May 21, 2024 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2024 6:08 AM

No, unfortunately, one must be HDMI-connected:

From Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications - Apple Support

8 replies

May 22, 2024 6:24 AM in response to alain217

Dell – Dell 27 USB-C Monitor - S2722DC

Dell – Dell S2722DC Monitor User’s Guide

This is a 2560x1440 pixel monitor with three video inputs: a USB-C (DisplayPort) input, and two HDMI inputs.

Because this monitor can take HDMI input, I believe that you could connect two to your M1 Mac mini.

The only way to do so would be

• To connect one of the S2722DC monitors to the HDMI port on your M1 Mac mini.
  • To connect one of the S2722DC monitors to the USB-C port on your M1 Mac mini. The most obvious way of doing this connection would be USB-C to USB-C, although a USB-C to HDMI adapter could also work.

If you wanted to use the integrated USB hub on a HDMI-connected S2722DC monitor, you would need to run a separate USB-A to USB-C cable from one of the USB-A ports on your M1 Mac mini to the monitor's USB-C port.

There is a reason why I say USB-A: USB-A ports are incapable of carrying DisplayPort video, and so plugging a S2722DC into one of your Mini's USB-A ports will only result in the two trying to speak USB protocol. If you ran both a HDMI-to-HDMI cable and a USB-C to USB-C cable to the "HDMI-connected" S2722DC, with the idea of using the USB-C to USB-C cable only to connect the monitor's USB hub ports, the computer and monitor might think that you were trying to establish a second USB-C (DisplayPort) link (which a M1 Mini wouldn't support).

May 21, 2024 11:13 AM in response to alain217

+1 No. The M1 Mac mini only supports one display from the TB/USB-C port and one from the HDMI port.

In addition to the M1 Mac mini Spec's that hcsitas posted, see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

However, according to > https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-usb-c-monitor-s2722dc/apd/210-bbqs/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section those Dell displays also have HDMI input ports.

If you have your mind set on those Dell's...? What I would do, is connect one to the HDMI port and the other to one to a TB/USB-C ports using a USB-C to HDMI adapter. That way you should be able to match the Resolution of the displays.

The only problem that I'm concerned with about this setup, is the ability to select true WideScreen resolutions.

May 22, 2024 1:57 PM in response to alain217

alain217 wrote:

Thanks for the short answer but, I still don't understand why both Usb c ports on the mac mini can't be used to run each of the monitor displays tho? strange

The base M1 chip supports a maximum of two displays – no matter what chassis it is in.

• In the M1 MacBook Airs, 13" M1 MacBook Pros, and 24" M1 4.5K Retina iMacs, one video output is hard-wired to the built-in display.
  • In the M1 Mac mini, one video output is hard-wired to the HDMI port.

Thus the limit on all of these M1-based Macs of a single USB-C (DIsplayPort) or Thunderbolt display. You can use either USB-C / Thunderbolt port to plug in the display – but the fact that there are two ports does not do anything to increase the number of available video outputs.

The base M2 chip also has a two-display limit, but M2 Mac minis are more flexible about display arrangements. If you leave the HDMI port on a M2 Mac mini open, that Mini can drive two USB-C or Thunderbolt displays.

The M2 Pro Mac minis have a higher-end chip with more onboard display support, and can drive up to three displays (attached to one of their four USB-C / Thunderbolt ports, or to their HDMI ports).

May 22, 2024 1:19 PM in response to Servant of Cats

I have used my macbook air M1 with one of these Dell s2722DC monitors via USB C cable and works perfect - charges my macbook air m1 , and when using better display app , HIDPI i had no issues - good value.

was only wondering why BOTH USB C ports cannot be used to power two of these displays ? why must 1 be powered by USB and the other via HDMI?

Dual Dell QHD with USB-C Monitor Setup with Mac Mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.