How to adjust keyboard settings on iPad Pro 11" for better typing experience

I just bought the new ipad pro 11”. The keyboard has a new large shift key and a separate caps lock key ( as opposed to the up arrow shift key that can be double clicked for caps lock). Also, the numbers keyboard selector has switched positions with the emoji/keyboard selector key in comparison to my older ipad pro.

The new ipad is running 17.5.1 while the old one is on 17.5.

Is the change a function of the different hardware or the updated software?

I am not a fan as the additional unnecessary keys make all the letter keys a tiny bit smaller. Also, switching the position of 2 keys I’ve grown accustomed to using is maddening.

does anyone know why this exists or how to change it?

thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro (M4, 2024)

Posted on May 21, 2024 2:59 PM

6 replies

May 21, 2024 3:24 PM in response to scott M

I’ve had 11” iPad Pros for many years, and now have the new iPad Pro M4 as I believe you do.

My keyboard looks like this, which is how I think you’re describing yours:

Regarding the shift key(s), I believe it has always been this way with one exception - you may (previously as well as currently) float your keyboard to produce the up-arrow shift key.

Move the iPad onscreen keyboard - Apple Support

The numbers and emoji have been this way since I can remember.

May 23, 2024 4:45 PM in response to scott M

scott M wrote:

Is there any way to customize the keyboard to make it more like the older ipad? I would like to get rid of the caps lock button etc… and have a more minimal keyboard so the letter keys are bigger.

Keyboard layouts vary between iPad models - the onscreen keyboard become more similar in its appearance to a full external keyboard as the screen size becomes larger.

Available customisation for the iPad's onscreen keyboard is limited to keyboard language selection - or if you prefer, using the "floating" mini keyboard or Split Keyboard (available for supported smaller-screen iPads):

Use the floating keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

Split and move the keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

How to adjust keyboard settings on iPad Pro 11" for better typing experience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.