Accessibility settings crash browsers

Lately, I have been having many issues, such as several of my browsers crashing when trying to visit sites I have visited for a long time. Sites like Amazon, Best Buy, PNC Bank, and many others. It isn't just one browser that has this problem. I have the same issues on Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Duck Duck Go, and Edge. Some sites will crash in one browser but not another. From the crash logs, the issue mostly deals with the Dispatch queue: create-voices-avspeech

I have been trying to find this issue on the web to no avail. I have found that it might have something to do with Accessibility in settings specifically related to Spoken Content. I get this error: Extension process Accessibility(32872) exited, and Live Speech, I get this error: Extension process Accessibility(32996) exited.

I have tried finding more information, but these IDs change every time I visit them.

I'm in desperate need of a solution to this problem. If anyone has any insights or potential fixes, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

I am running on macOS Sonoma V 14.5

iMac 27″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 22, 2024 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2024 9:42 AM

Slightly easier fix:

I had essentially the same problem. Web pages making every browser crash.

System settings crashing on Accessibility-> Spoken Content and Live Speech

I went into preferences and found that the only recently changed pref was:

com.apple.SpeakSelection.plist

So I deleted that and System Settings Accessibility-> Spoken Content and Live Speech immediately began to work again and web pages began to display without crashing.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2024 9:42 AM in response to TwiggyBloke

Slightly easier fix:

I had essentially the same problem. Web pages making every browser crash.

System settings crashing on Accessibility-> Spoken Content and Live Speech

I went into preferences and found that the only recently changed pref was:

com.apple.SpeakSelection.plist

So I deleted that and System Settings Accessibility-> Spoken Content and Live Speech immediately began to work again and web pages began to display without crashing.

May 24, 2024 10:43 AM in response to Tigerladybarb

You would find in in the User's Home directory /Library/Preferences

Since the home folder's Library is usually hidden one way to get there is to use the Finder's Go menu and select "Go to Folder..." and type in: ~/Library/Preferences

Or you can hold down the Option key on your keyboard and select the Go menu in Finder - with the Option key held down the user's Library will appear in the list.

Jun 12, 2024 4:52 PM in response to Tigerladybarb

Created an account just to comment and thank carfax + everyone for this thread. I would be banging my head against a wall reinstalling macOS and timemachine backups.

For SEO here is what happened in my case:

Out of nowhere this afternoon my Chrome browser just would crash/quit completely, first it seemed to be happening on just one or two websites so I thought it was maybe a javascript or some other issue. Then I noticed my Discord desktop app would get to the "starting.." and then completely crash.

I wasn't able to figure out how to get an error message from Chrome or Discord but I managed to get a crash report from Safari once I realized it was affecting all browsers. Logging in to another user profile on the same machine did NOT exhibit any issues whatsoever.

I was able to grab a debug report from Safari - the Safari "crashed thread" called out "Dispatch queue: create-voices-avspeech" which sent me down a rabbit hole of searching. Somehow my google searches led me here.

I moved the offending .plist file elsewhere and everything magically worked again. THANK YOU x 1000000000.

Any ideas why the heck this started happening recently for most of us here?

Jun 11, 2024 8:56 AM in response to kc488

Have you looked in the hidden Library folder?

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SpeakSelection.plist

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Or…

Use the Command-Shift-. 

Method 2:

1. Go to the Finder (or desktop).
  2. Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.
  3. With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Jun 5, 2024 5:09 PM in response to rairure88

CarFax you are a genius. I wasted a lot of time reinstalling 14.5 with no luck until I looked more closely at the browser and Plex desktop app more closely and found the same/similar crashed threads and then I found this threed and your post. Deleting the com.apple.SpeakSelection.plist fixed the problem without even logging out of my user. Thanks for your help.

May 23, 2024 5:26 PM in response to Tigerladybarb

Hi Tigerladybarb - I had exactly the same issue straight after a Somona upgrade ... browser apps crashing on certain sites (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) - their dumps showed the crashes were linked to speech. I had the same errors in System Preferences -> Accessibility-> Spoken Content and Live Speech. Also in terminal "say hello" threw an exception.

I created a separate admin account on the macbook and tested for the above - none of the symptoms were present so how I fixed it was to make a backup of ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.* from both my existing and my new user accounts, then when logged in as my existing account, copied in the files from my new admin account overwriting the old settings. Apologies if anyone is looking for precision but I didn't find the specific properties list file as this does reset most of your settings but I was able to quickly redo my changed settings.

Not suggesting this approach is for purists as it needs more precision but it worked for me no guarantee it will work for anyone else - I first backed up all files in my ~/Library/Preferences in case I needed them

Login as new user

mkdir /tmp/user1

chmod 777 /tmp/user1

cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.* /tmp/user1

Login as original user then

cp /tmp/user1/com.apple.* ~/Library/Preferences

Jun 11, 2024 9:15 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, I looked there and also searched for all plist files on my Mac. It’s nowhere to be found.

I set up a new user on my Mac and, under this test user, the accessibility crash problem isn’t an issue. I checked the Preferences folder and did find the file you all indicated under this new user.

I’m truly stumped.

May 22, 2024 3:13 PM in response to Tigerladybarb

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

If the above doesn't help follow rkaufmann87's recommendation of running Etrecheck and posting the full report via the "Additional Text" button:

Accessibility settings crash browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.