Extreme battery drain in iPhone post update

Hello after 17.5.1 update i encounter extreme battery drain and life drop from 90% to 86% after update. Battery drains almost 50-60% in 4 hours without using it before update battery lasts almost day and half without charging!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on May 23, 2024 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2024 7:56 AM

iOS 17.5 was fantastic in terms of battery. battery drain was 10% for every hour. (according to my use). as soon as I updated to iOS 17.5.1 there was drastic drop in battery life as now my battery goes from 80% to 15% in 3 hours ( same usage)

131 replies

May 23, 2024 4:34 AM in response to SravanKrA

I feel your answer is a little condescending. I’m having the battery drain issue on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I don’t use the phone any differently than before the update. I could literally use the iPhone all day before the update and charge it at the end of the day. I’m doing the SAME tasks and the SAME usage after the update…. I’m having to charge my phone at least once if not twice. That, to me the consumer of this $1000+ product, is worth taking about.

May 24, 2024 9:39 PM in response to Mackouschko

This issue is very critical. After updating to 17.5.1, my phone(15 pro max) also had bad drain. Usually remain 70% for whole day or 80~85% around 6:00pm. But today I checked 5pm, it is 60%. 28% at 8pm. I never seen under 30% since bought this phone. I don't use phone too much. only news, mail or weather check for few mins. Apple should check it.

May 26, 2024 5:19 AM in response to SravanKrA

It surely is, majority of people pointed out that no settings alternations were made. Including myself, I even turned off all background tasks, turned off location and everything that could be using battery. I tested my phone battery by charging it to 100%, went to sleep, when I woke up, battery was at 86%. Battery usage shows only 1 minute screen time, “lock & screen”. Battery life 96%. iOS 17.5.1 system has major battery leak and developers should investigate this, end of a story.

May 27, 2024 5:39 AM in response to Mackouschko

I’ve been having the same issues. I remember a couple of years back people would be excited for a new update. Nowadays we are mostly worried about the battery life/drainage.

Ive been using an iPhone 12 for the past 2 years, shouldn’t be considered an old device. It came with iOS 15 which was amazing battery wise, I saw it suffer as soon as I updated to 16 and after 17 the battery drain plummeted.

Apple itself stated that tests ios versions so it runs pristinely on compatible models. So I don’t think it’s an age issue, the A14 Bionic is a capable chip. Phones aren’t supposed to be that disposable.

I’ve always chosen iPhone for its longevity. The battery is smaller but in my use, used to degrade slower than the larger ones found in some android phones.

Unfortunately that’s no longer the case. I dont want to be forced into buying a new device. I rather make the switch for an android than accept the poor software optimization (at least on android they compensate this with large batteries).

I believe I’m not alone on this one.

May 25, 2024 7:59 PM in response to Mackouschko

Since updating to 17.5.1 noticed my iPhone 15 pro was nearing 20% (low battery notification) much quicker than normal, with no changes in my usage of the phone. I used to get 10-12 hours on a single charge but recently it’s been more like 6.5-8. Today (5/25/24) when it happened, I charged it back to up 60% and then one hour later it was back at 20%..

May 31, 2024 4:08 AM in response to Mackouschko

iOS 17.5.1 is indeed causing the issues. I have two iPhones and one iPad pro. I have updated my iPad and iPhone XR to 17.5.1 and they are facing battery drain issue, since the update. A day before the battery on both were working extremely good atleast full day usage without recharge. My other iPhone SE is still on 17.4.1 and it works smoothly with no issue with battery.

Also, phone and ipad on 17.5.1 is heating up faster than before.

I clearly see we need another update from Apple for 17.5.1 battery drain fix.

May 23, 2024 6:25 PM in response to Mackouschko

So I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Never damaged my phone once it's always been in a protective case. Only thing I've done is replace the original battery via an apple store so battery in my device is less than 6-8 months old. Here is what I noticed after I updating my device to IOS 17.5 and 17.5.1 . The battery health dropped from 96% to 92%, my phone while charging would drop in battery despite 0 apps running in the background and even being in airplane mode. Charging port is clean and yes I have different charging cables with zero rips and tears. It is indeed the software. My phone refuses to power on now can't do DFU mode or a hard reset either. Even as I'm typing this my phone has been charging or I guess "charging" all day. So yeah it is 100% the ios 17.5 and 17.5.1 software preventing me from using my phone.

May 26, 2024 12:45 PM in response to SravanKrA

So if I eat junk food all week long and I am 1kg fatter every Sunday, the issue is not the junk food? I’m probably just ingesting the food differently right…

Your logic implies that EVERYONE suddenly changes usage habits conveniently immediately after every update, therefore it’s not the updates.. what are the chances of that..?

Also the more examples you find of users having issues after every update the more you prove the point that the update is the issue; just like the more examples you find of overweight people who have bad eating habits the more you prove the point. This is reinforced when people have a control phone to compare to, like the member who compared with his wife’s phone.

Extreme battery drain in iPhone post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.